Advanced Diploma in Clinical Hypnotherapy
The course is completed by distance learning and is aimed at practitioners with a thorough initial training. Suitable candidates already have the skills that required live, directly supervised training, such as inducing, deepening and disengaging trance.
The Advanced Diploma in Hypnotherapy will invigorate your work by teaching new knowledge and techniques, developing critical and analytical thinking, as well as covering less commonly taught presenting issues, more ways to motivate clients and maximise success, and sophisticated questioning skills. As well, it will teach practitioners how to deal with awkward clinical situations, advanced ethical and logical thinking, and the value of hypnotherapy research, as well as developing reflective practitioner skills.
The course is accredited internationally by the General Hypnotherapy Register (with whom you can apply for the ‘Advanced Practitioner’ status) and recognised by the International Hypnosis Association and Australian Hypnotherapists Association (AHA). Any hypnotherapist, regardless of their chosen professional association, can complete and benefit from the course. We have sought accreditation with a number of other bodies but most currently have no mechanism for assessing courses at this higher level.
- Provides a clear advancement on initial training.
- Encourages academic, critical and reflective thinking on clinical practice, learning and ethics.
- Is substantive and engaging; not simply a 'more of the same' course, such as a collection of new scripts. Applicants are expected to already be confident inducing and deepening trance, etc.
- Provides new knowledge, skills, and techniques.
- Encourages a considered, respectful, yet critical approach to hypnotherapy research.
- Develops the practitioner's extra-clinical abilities, e.g. setting up a peer group and getting the best from supervision.
- Engaging and challenging homework that has practical utility in encouraging use of the skills learnt as well as testing a student's understanding.
The benefits of this course and qualification:
- Impress prospective customers with an advanced qualification (AdvDipH).
- Accredited internationally by the International Hypnosis Association and General Hypnotherapy Standards Council (GHSC). If you are a GHR member, you can upgrade to ‘Advanced Practitioner’ (ADPR) status. You can also apply to join as a new member at this level.
- Validated Ongoing Professional Development by the Australian Hypnotherapists Association (AHA).
- Highly qualified and experienced trainers who have lectured university psychology students. Paul holds a PhD in psychology and Karen holds an MSc in Health Psychology. Both are experienced hypnotherapy practitioners and internationally well-respected hypnotherapy trainers, as well as qualified supervisors.
- Complete the course in your own time (within 6 months). No particular days or times that you must be in attendance.
- Distance learning. Complete it from the comfort of your own home - assuming you have a comfortable home! No travel and better for the environment than lots of journeys. No physical accessibility issues as with some venues. No overnight stays in hotels away from home and family. Fit it around childcare, etc.
- Support from approachable trainers via email or telephone.
- A substantial, in-depth course, taking your practice to the next level.
- A detailed training manual (ebook) of over 300 pages, including scripts and printable forms.
Who is the course suitable for?
Any hypnotherapist, working full-time or part-time, anywhere in the world, with a good command of English, who wants to improve their work for the benefit of clients and to find their work even more fulfilling. Practitioners who have had time away from the profession might wish to reengage with training to stimulate existing knowledge whilst learning something new as well.
We are selective about entry to the course, always making sure public and profession are prioritised. You can follow on from initial training straight onto this course provided your course was substantial and you conducted practice sessions on the training and/or since then with members of the public. Training in other modalities, such as NLP, whilst valuable clinically, does not count towards our entry requirements. You need to be a full member of a professional hypnotherapy association.
"[...] I am just 'blown away' with the amount of thought provoking, inspiring and just shear depth of knowledge and experience that this book [ed. course manual] provides. [...] It is clearly written, and provides you with a mix of ideas and experience that allow you to reflect and absorb ways in which it can be utilised in practise [...] please don't think I am some gushing overly enthusiastic young man, I am 54, well read and usually quite sceptical by nature, and have never been driven to send an email like this in the past."
"The course has taught me so much, and I thank both of you for writing such a fabulous course. [...] The course has helped me to think more critically when hearing other therapists talk, and I often find myself questioning what has been said. This course has certainly broadened my thinking in ways which I had never considered before. I certainly feel more confident as a practitioner."
"I enjoyed the course very much, it was my first experience of distance learning and the result is that I would certainly do it again in the future. I felt very supported throughout the course even when I was a little uncertain of whether I was doing ok. The feedback gave me the confidence to know I was on the right track and to carry on. Even when the tutors were on holiday I still received an email showing their dedication to their students."
"I thoroughly enjoyed this course and found it challenging. I feel it built well on initial training giving me more techniques to add to my repertoire and helped me to think about the whole process of therapy in a deeper way."
"I enjoyed the course; it required me to think harder than I thought it would. Some of the greatest benefit was near the end - rising to the challenge of Karen's questions!"
"Even though it has only been just under a year since I qualified as a hypnotherapist, I had not realised how set in my ways I was beginning to get with some of my interventions and approaches. Studying for the advanced diploma gave me just what I needed to reignite and build my confidence."
"I am really pleased I took the course. I have learnt a lot and feel that my appreciation and understanding of hypnotherapy has been enhanced. Thank you."
"Very quick response to communications, and marking came back much faster than I thought it would. Amazing and made me feel you valued the course and students."
The structure is very simple. Once your application has been accepted, you will be sent a manual and a single electronic homework file. You complete the questions on computer and email your answers to your tutor for marking. Some of these will be sent back to you with constructive feedback and a request to resubmit. You tweak your answers and send the updated file back to us. The file passes back and forth by email until all the questions have met the required standard. You are then sent a certificate.
Therefore, provided you are willing to respond to feedback until you reach the required standard, you cannot 'fail'. This process has worked really well. It upholds standards and meets learning outcomes without the pressure of exams. We’re interested in wholesome learning that you will remember and use. We enjoy investing in you, your future, and the professional more generally. Supervision is provided throughout.
Course content and assessment
Part 1 requires you to read the course manual. This substantial resource contains a rich assortment of information, advancing your knowledge and skills as a hypnotherapist. Here are just a few of the topics covered:
- Modern approaches to motivating clients.
- Advanced questioning skills.
- Handling awkward situations and questions.
- Advanced clinical approaches such as the 'Why? So that' technique, wordplay, paradoxical intention and symptom prescription.
- Learning how to work without scripts.
- Effective new techniques e.g. ‘reverse behavioural chaining’ and ‘Eureka grid’.
- Interesting presenting issues, such as stage fright, public speaking, eczema, anger, blushing, wedding issues, and procrastination.
- Critical thinking regarding claims made by trainers and books.
- How to find, understand and enjoy hypnotherapy research.
- Types of ethics and ethical debates in clinical practice.
- Working with epileptic clients.
- Working with groups.
- Being a reflective practitioner.
- How to set up and run a successful peer group.
- What to look for when choosing professional development courses.
- Advanced marketing strategies.
Part 2 questions you on your learning from Part 1, as well as a few other tasks:
- 20 'open book', untimed multiple choice questions.
- 15 short answer questions.
- Vignette 1: what you would do to help a more complex/higher risk client.
- Vignette 2: what you would do in a case that potentially involves child protection.
- Reflective journal.
- Short statement of how the course has developed your thinking.
- A Personal Development Plan - statement of what you intend to in the near future to improve as a hypnotherapist.
N.B. Content may be subject to change as we continually seek to improve our courses.
All tasks must be completed to an acceptable standard that meets the learning outcomes. Our professional bodies reserve the right to spot-check us to hold us accountable for standards of student work and tutor feedback.
Enrolment and fees
We are currently enrolling new students. The fee includes everything: support, assessment and certification. You may choose to buy recommended books as well.
20% off until 1 Sep 2019!
$870 AUD, $690 USD, or £490 GBP
3 payment methods available. Please contact us for more details.
We may be able to accept other currencies. Please ask.
*Full money back guarantee* at any point prior to first submission of your homework portfolio.
Recovering course fees and wearing the 'business hat'
Full money back guarantee at any point prior to first submission of your homework portfolio.
Courses are enjoyable in their own right, they improve performance, and they are a professional requirement. But it is also good to consider how fees will be recovered. They are, after all, a business cost. A higher qualification should attract clients who are choosing a therapist, where very often little distinguishes one therapist from another. We can offer the following formula to work out how many clients you need in order to recover AdvDipH course fees:
Divide the total course cost by the fee you charge per session. This gives the total number of sessions required to recover fees.
Divide this figure by the average number of sessions each of your clients attend for.
You need this many new clients, attracted by your new qualification, to break even.
A typical figure often surprises people - about 3 clients.
What’s more, the qualification continues to work for you for as long as you are a therapist.
Invest in you and your clients - you’re both worth it!